Organic

No.. I'm not going to start buying organic clothing BUT I do believe that most of the stuff we put in our bodies and more importantly our childrens bodies should be more natural. My interest in eating more organically started when I watched a segment of Jon and Kate plus 8. (believe it or not!!) A lady came to teach her family about eating more organic foods and using more natural household cleaners. I also was reading a lady who I didn't even know blog and she was dying from cancer. She mentioned once that her doctors at Johns Hopkins told her that berries were one of the worst foods to eat (if they aren't organic). They said that the berries act like little sponges, soaking up all the pesticides that are sprayed on them and then we eat them.. nice thought huh? So, I started with just the few things she suggested.. vingar and water instead of windex and basically I just started paying more attention. I'm just getting started but I thought I'd share some of the great things I have found that aren't anymore expensive than other food but that are organic. First of all.. Safeway is the best store to buy organic food. They have an alternative organic line for almost every single thing you can imagine. Their organic line is a little bit more expensive than other groceries.. but they have it all. Last night I was at Walmart and noticed that they also have a lot of organic alternatives. Their prices were even better. But my favorite new inexpensive organic finds are the boneless skinless flash frozen chicken at Costco. The Kirkland brand is completing free of steroids and pesticides. It is also much cheaper than most other chicken. I'm hearing that the most important foods to eat organically are berries and meats. Organic berries are ex-pen-sive!! I made a commitment so I've been sucking it up but I have a client who is the nutritionist on channel 12 (you can watch her almost weekly do segments on healthy eating). She told me that organic is best but if you can't find organic berries look for berries grown in the US. Any berries grown outside the Us or not organic she wouldn't feed to her dog. I also have found at Costco snack pack size organic vegetable trays. Janie and Kelan love eating veggies and ranch for a snakc and now it's even better that they are organic. I think you get 4 for 7.99. And one pack easily lasts 2 snack times! (cheaper than fruit by the nasty foot!!!!) But.. my very exciting and great organic find of the week is the frozen vegetables at Costco. They had blueberries, mixed veggies, and green beans.. all organic and huge bags for around 5.00. They are so easy to throw on the stove and serve with dinner. As far as the frozen part I'm pretty sure I have always heard that the nutrients from the vegetables is still in them.. even though they are frozen. So.. happy healthy and organic eating!!!

1 comment:

Truly and Shane said...

Whoa Whoa now if I can just copy and paste this entry into my own blog...love it. No more non-organic berries!