Today we helped Ryan's parents move! I was able to help just a little bit and it was quite a trip down memory lane for me. I thought as I went how each room had held such special memories for me and my family. As I dusted one of the pillars in the hallway I remembered the time Westin (my nephew) split his head open on Christmas Eve and had to be rushed to the emergency room. The game room brought back memories of no, not me playing pool.. but instead all the time I sat on the soft chair in the corner away from the family nursing both of my babies and how I enjoyed being able to just listen to the noise of our family talking and laughing. The dining room brought back memories of Thanksgiving and all the beautiful table decorations Glenna always had on her dining room table for every holiday! The kitchen brought back memories of all the yummy food that had been prepared in it and all the fun times us girls had doing dishes. The family room brought back memories of Christmas Eve and wrapping paper everywhere, the beautiful Christmas tree with all the hand made ornaments and the laughter and excitement of giving and receiving! The backyard brought back special memories of Ryans college graduation party, Kelans blessing day luncheon and my baby shower for Janie.
As most of you know, I'm a very sentimental person and not very good with change so helping my in-laws move out of a home I truly love was not something I was looking forward to. How would I explain to Janie that she won't ever swim in the pool or play in the play room again?? But.. as we were leaving Janie asked me. "Why are you sad Mommy?" I looked at her and thought of telling her how this house was special to me because it was the first house I had seen built from the ground up, how I knew every inch of it had so much thought, love and consideration put into it, how I knew I would never walk through it's doors again. But, instead she answered before I could and said "it's just a house, Mommy." It then occurred to me that she was right. I will always have good memories of the house on Dover street but all the things I loved about this house were busy moving into a new home across town. So, I suppose it's not the house that makes all the memories.. it's the people that live inside.
2 comments:
it's so true! leave it to janie to figure things out first! i'll miss that house too...it was beautiful, but hopefully us Brown's will get to make some new schmitz memories in the new house.
Hey, have you ever put Janie in Joni's music class?? Kamryn's going to start on Monday, I think she'll LOVE it! By the way, she loved her new school....she talked about it all day! Thanks for the recommendation!
Post a Comment