Janie's Jewelry







Saturday I took Janie with me to Walmart to grab a couple things and we ended up with 2 new toys for her. (somehow that always happens!) One of the toys was actually a necklace and bracelet making kit with a million beads. Not my favorite but she is pretty responsible about keeping her things picked up and out of reach of Kelan. So, when we got home she sat and made about 4 or 5 bracelets and necklaces. As she was making them she is kind of throwing around ideas of what she could do with them.. give them as gifts, take them to church, keep them all and finally, sell them. Ryan and I assured her that there weren't many people out walking around and her jewelry sale might not be so profitable. But,Janie insisted! Ryan of course mortified would have nothing to do with sitting out in the 110 degree heat by a little homemade jewelry stand so I was left to sweat. We made a sign and set up a little place for her to sit. The whole time I'm setting her up to tell her that maybe no one would come, it's hot not many people are out, don't be sad if you don't sell any jewelry.. etc. She keeps telling me "I know people will come, I just know it." After we got her all set up and she's sitting kicking her legs waiting patiently she quietly says "Mom, what will I do when all the people are lined up and I can't make the jewelry fast enough?" My mind immediately started racing.. how could I let her down, how could I get people to come.. so, I called my Mom. She was all the way home and couldn't possibly drive down to the sale, my sisters were gone, my next call was my neighbors when suddenly out of no where two little kids (a little girl and her brother)came walking down the road. They stopped at Janie and begin looking at all the jewelry. Janie is telling the little girl " you are small so I can make a smaller bracelet for you, do you want your name on it?" I'm dying! What great luck! The only problem was that they didn't have any money. So, I quietly gave them 4 quarters. Janie was only charging 1 dollar each (meaning 1 penny, quarter, dollar bill...doesn't matter, 1 is 1 to her. So, with 4 quarters Janie had a smile from ear to ear! Talking to the kids I realized they were part of a family of 5 that just lost their Dad from down the street. The little girl was so excited about her jewelry, especially her custom bracelet with a J for Julia on it. Janie was ecstatic. After they left Janie smiled and said, "see Mom, I knew people would come!" So, luck maybe but sometimes I think two people, even little girls, just needed each other. One happy girl with new jewelry tht might have brightened her day and one very sweet and creative girl with 4 shiny quarters that she made all by herself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. That was so sweet it made me cry! Maybe she and Janie can play sometime. Janie can help anybody forget their troubles!

Kristy Martin said...

next time call me, we'll come right over! haha-cute story

Hilarry said...

Ok, that is so cute. Janie is such a girl! I love it! Oh and I loooove her first day of school outfit! She needs to teach me how to pose for pictures too, she's a pro!

The Brown Family said...

okay, this has me bawling. seriously, i am sitting here crying harder than i have cried in a long time. you told me the story about those two little kids dad not long ago, and seeing their picture just makes it so real and sad. i am so glad that sweet janie is here to brighten people's lives. i don't think it was luck...that moment was meant to be, for both of them.