Happy birthday Dad!


I am so lucky to have the best Dad in the whole world! I know everyone thinks that about their Dad's but mine is truly THE BEST! So, Dad.. i know you won't be reading this because you think blogs are silly but here are just a few of the reasonw why I love you more than you know!

1. You are so smart! I have always valued my Dad's advice. I can call him and need something explained to me and he can break it down for me until I get it. He knows swomthing about everything and if you ask for his opinion on something you can know that he knows what he is talking about.

2. He is a good parent. I admire the Father he is and am lucky to get to watch him go through it all over again now. He has always put his family first and every single one of us knows that he loves us.

3. He is fun to be around. I have always just liked being with my Dad. In high school I remember getting home late one night and he was awake (which he alwas was) watching an old movie. We stayed up almost that whole night finishing that movie and others. I don't remember the movies but I do remember the feeling of just being with my Dad. I won't ever forget those late nights Dad!

4. He is down to earth yet silly.. I will never forget playing "make me laugh" on Sundays after church. i won't mention the specific thing he did to make us laugh but let's just say.. we all laughed! He will still to this day try to embarass us by singing or dancing in public or telling the nerdy check out bagger that we have a crush on them.

5. He is a great story/joke teller. There are some pretty colorful jokes that the Devers tell. If you can ever pull one out of him you won't be disappointed.

6. He taught me some of my very favorite sayings that I say to my kids and I'm sure they will ssay to theirs.. I just called Jen to help remind me of some of our favorites but we decided that maybe we shouldn't put them on print.. ;)

7. He trys to be scary but really he is the most gentle Dad ever. Growing up most of my friends were scared of him but once they got to know him they all loved him! I remember one night Jen and I were laying uin bed laughing and it was pretty late. My Dad came in, crawled in bed with us and we all stayed up talking until really late. It was one of my favorite memories. I also have to mention the time my best friend Verona and I decided to throw a party at her house while her parents were out of town. We were in 9th grade and super smart so we made fliers and put my home phone number on them for people to call for directions. Well, off i went to Veronas and my phone kept ringing at home with people looking for directions to the party. Needless to say my Dad showed up at the party.. he never got mad, didn't make everyone go home. He just parked his car in the driveway and stood up against it glaring at all the kids. The party pretty much ended at that point.

8. I love to hear you laugh, I love just sitting around talking about life, i love imagining you at work walking in to a meeting with Paul Simon ringing in your ears. I love that you look great in a suit and with your hair poking out the back of your baseball cap. I love that I grew up listeneing to great music like The Doors and that you tell the scariest ghost stories. I love that your most comfortabel outside or sitting on the couch watching baseball. I love that I can count on you, I love that you are honest. Last year I went to one of Camerons soccer games and I sat next to a lady.. we got talking and i told her you wwere my Dad. She st the rest of the game telling me how people lined up to get their kids on your team. She told me how you were so great with the kids, you knew how to coach them so they would want to do their best every game. I was so proud that day adn i still am.
Dad, I love you. I wish we had more time together and I miss you but I know life is just busy for both of us right now. I want you to know that I appreciate everything you have done for me over the years. I wasn't the easiest teenager but I want you to know that growing up the lessons and values you taught me alwasy stayed with me. I messed up here and there but making you proud of me always weighed heavily on me.. even when i was wild and crazy. I admire you and I am so proud that youare my Dad. Thanks for being my friend and mostly for being my Dad! I love you, happy birthday!

No comments: